• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

“The mics will pick up on that stuff”

Started by Steve "Smitty" Smith, October 13, 2009, 08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve "Smitty" Smith

I've searched in vain for a Chad Smith quote I saw sometime back in which he stated something to the effect that if you're not prepared, confident, and convicted when recording your drum parts in the studio the mics will pick up on that and the recorded work will suffer.  It seems obvious, but it's a great point that has really stuck with me.

(Though I think Chad used a different "s" word -- not "stuff")

Nathan Cartier

Goes for anything in life, man.  It's like the Cub Scout Motto, "Be Prepared".

Jon E

I can attest to that.  I have tons of bad/weak/unbalanced/unprepared recordings of myself over the past zillion years.  You can't FIX something if it's DEFECTIVE from the start.

Chris Whitten

Great advice in that quote.
You can be an average drummer, but be well prepared and most importantly play confidently and with conviction and make outstanding recordings.

Tim van de Ven

One thing that microphone manufacturers never list in their specifications:

"All microphones will amplify your confidence or lack thereof"

David Crigger

Quote from: Tim vdv on November 13, 2009, 01:04 PM
One thing that microphone manufacturers never list in their specifications:

"All microphones will amplify your confidence or lack thereof"

Sadly, I've only known them to amplify "the lack thereof". In my experience, anything that jumps out positively on a recording is the result of the player putting out 50% more energy, passion, technique, conviction and confidence than it sounds like.

David

Drumlooney

As someone who records a lot of drummers I couldn't agree more.  I've recorded monster players who freak out when that red light goes on, play with conviction and keep it simple, the studio is not the place for a "chops" clinic. ;D

Bill Bachman

Yes, I remember it more as a "If you're not 110% confident and absolutely owning it, no one else will buy it either" kinda` thing. Powerful stuff there...