• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Joe Morello, 1928-2011

Started by David Stanoch, March 12, 2011, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Stanoch

Word is spreading this afternoon of the passing of a true legend in music and the art of drumming in particular, Joe Morello.

I know Joe had been in deteriorating health since last summer when I had hoped to see him at the Chicago Drum Show and he couldn't make it. Billy Ward nobly filled in for, and paid tribute to, him. He even got Joe on the phone during his clinic which was a real kick for everyone.

I'm sure Bart will have much more information on this news. I would just like to say that beyond the human sadness of such a great loss, it is always hard to see the wisdom of such an iconic figure pass into the ether. It's like seeing a great library burn down.

Joe was a classic example of how understanding the foundations of drumming can assist in moving the instrument forward. He studied with George Lawrence Stone and Billy Gladstone among others and helped trailblaze a world rhythmic influence in jazz in the 1950's, which peaked in the form of the tune Take Five, which was a million-selling jazz instrumental in 5/4 time featuring a drum solo. How unique is that?!

I was not so personally acquainted with Joe but he inspired me greatly, from my interest in being fluid in odd-meters, to his subdivision studies - which were a major influence on my book, Mastering the Tables of Time. I was able to thank him for that, which I'll always feel grateful for having the opportunity to do.

He was inspiring to me, as he was to many, through his example and commitment to excellence. Thank you, Joe. Rest in peace.

Bart Elliott

I'm on a camping trip with my son right now, thought I would check in ... only to see the title of this thread; I immediately said "oh no."

Please feel free to report all that you know as I am out of pocket.

Deeply saddened with the news of Joe's passing.

Hannah Ford

Jon E

Truly great and understated.

Alan Barnes

I've met a few that were lucky enough to study with Joe M, sure wish I could have.  An inspiration to not only drummers, but all he shared his artistry with.  Peace be with all.

Chip Donaho

One of the Worlds Greatest Drummers.  :o  Sad news indead.  :'(

Plooker68

Wow,  that sucks.    His instructional tapes were the first ones i bought.

Thanks to my library which had a Danny Gottlieb' video,  turned me onto Joe Morello, and technique exploration.       What a Icon.      He will be missed, rest in peace Mr. Morello.

Joe Knows!!!!

Plooker68