• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Dave Heim - In Memoriam

Started by Bart Elliott, November 18, 2012, 07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

It is with the deepest sadness that I must report that our good friend,  http://www.drummercafe.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=8456]Dave Heim  (aka DaveFromChicago) passed away Friday evening, he was 57.

Dave was a longstanding Drummer Cafe VIP member (September 2004) and was always there to contribute and assist me in my endeavors with the Drummer Cafe.

So much to say about my friend; more to come later.

I'm actually in Milwaukee this weekend and hope to be able to reach out to Dave's wife and young son, Ben (also a drummer/percussionist), on behalf of the Drummer Cafe community. I'm in contact with Dave's wife; she is still making funeral arrangements at this time.

Rest in Peace, Dave ... you left us way too soon.

Please keep Dave's wife, Lisa, and son, Ben, in your thoughts and prayers.

smoggrocks

thank you for posting, bart. i heard about this last night after rehearsal and can't tell you how shocked and down i am over it. dave and i have been chums a very long time and communicated often. we were just talking a week or so ago and he extended an invitation to stay at his home for my next chicago visit.

to me, he was exemplary because he was so decent: a person without guile or an agenda. there's plenty of nice folk out there, but not many decent ones. he loved life and his family and was such a supportive and caring dad and friend. we talked about science a lot and i dug that he was so into that, his rockets and his volunteer work at the zoo. he was always incredibly supportive of my playing, too.

seems the good ones always go much too soon.

i'm playing tonight's gig with him front and center in my heart and head and will miss him very, very much. there is a void.

thinking about his family, especially his son ben.

safe passage, good buddy.

KevinD

Man...just saw that Deb posted this on facebook. What a terrible tragedy. I so much enjoyed Dave's posts and PMs here on the D.C. for so many years. Such a talented guy with so much to offer. My most heartfelt condolences go out to his family. Dave will be sorely missed by the entire drumming community, but he will remain in our memories.

Rest In Peace my friend.

Kevin

Jon E

Dave and I never met in person.  I knew him only via the Internet. But i still considered him a friend.  He made me feel that was so.

I will truly miss his wit and wisdom.

Bart Elliott

Dave first joined the Drummer Cafe forum back in September 2004. From that very moment, Dave was a huge supporter and asset to our drum community.

Dave's friendship meant a lot to me. Year after year he contributed financially, helping me with the costs of operating the Drummer Cafe. Besides the wealth of knowledge and experience he shared with us here on the Drummer Cafe forum, Dave also wrote several articles for the Drummer Cafe including a review, Billdidit: The Coady Clutch, Wash Control and Trip Arm, and Keeping Time at Ludwig where he reflected on his days of working at the Ludwig Drum Company in Chicago.

Dave had a great sense of humor and wit, was passionate about the art of drumming, loved his family, and was a true gentlemen.

While attending the Chicago Drum Show a number of years ago, Dave and his wife Lisa opened their home to me, allowing me to stay with them for the duration of the convention.

Dave and I stayed in touch over the years, and just last year, June 2011, Dave had a wonderful time together while he was in Nashville on business. Dave and I had a nice lunch, stopped by the Drummer Cafe studio for some hang time and a short video interview, then visited Fork's Drum Closet (pro drum shop) in Nashville.

I can't believe you are gone, Dave; 57-years-old is WAY to young.

Thank you for your friendship and support all of these years. I'm reaching out to Lisa and Ben, doing all I can as they deal with your passing.

Peace to you, my friend.  :'(

Nathan Cartier

I always enjoyed Dave's posts and Bottle Band videos.  What a shame to lose such a kind-hearted man. 

I've still got this clipping of Dave Heim's little featurette in the New Blood section of Drum!. 

Chip Donaho

:o  This is sad to hear. I had exchainged emails with him a couple times and had hopes to meet him some day.  :(

Bob Dias

I heard the sad news saturday. As with many here, I only knew Dave through the DC and FB, but by all accounts and conversations he was a great musician, husband and dad. He will be greatly missed. Bob.

Mister Acrolite

Dave was an unfaltering source of positive energy, both within this forum and to everyone with whom he interacted. He set a wonderful example for all of us, and will be sorely missed.

Truly, he was one of the good guys.

Bart Elliott

I spent the day thinking about Dave; lots of tears while creating a tribute page for him here at the Drummer Cafe.

http://www.drummercafe.com/featured-musician/drummer-percussionist/dave-heim-1955-2012.html

It's a work in progress; more photos and videos will be added over time.

Larry Rankine

So sorry to hear of Dave's passing.  I, like many of us here at the Café considered Dave a friend and he will be sorely missed.  Thoughts and prayers to his family.

Bart Elliott

QuoteObituary

David L. Heim. Age 57 of Des Plaines. Suddenly November 16, 2012. Beloved husband of Lisa nee Olsson. Loving father of Benjamin. Dear son of Lloyd and the late Jane. Cherished brother of James (Lisa), Kathleen (Peter) Hamot and Michael (Melody). Fond uncle of Heidi, James, Steven, Peter, Matthew and Michael. Dear son-in-law of Burt and Iris Olsson. Visitation Tuesday., Nov. 20, 4-9 p.m., at RYAN-PARKE FUNERAL HOME, 120 S. Northwest Hwy., (2 blks. S. of Touhy) Park Ridge. Lying-In-State Wednesday, 12 p.m., until time of service, 1 p.m., at St. Luke's Lutheran Church, 205 N. Prospect, Park Ridge. Interment Acacia Park Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, contributions to the Heim Children Education Fund are appreciated.

I was planning to start up a fund for Dave's son, Ben, for college. Nice to see that the family is already doing this.

For those that may be interested, I'm going to give something on behalf of the Drummer Cafe. If you would like to consider contributing to the fund as well, I'll be providing details soon.

Rusty Beckett

RIP Dave - I only knew you through this forum and you will be missed.

Andy Ziker

I'm truly sorry to hear about this. Dave and I met through the Drummer Cafe and we corresponded back and forth on a semi-regular basis via email and eventually Facebook.

Dave provided me with moral support for my various projects (and I was honored that he used my books with his private students). A testimonial from Dave is featured on the back cover of Drumset for Preschoolers and he wrote an eloquent review of Drum Aerobics on amazon.com. Thank you, Dave, for all of your help!

Dave was a beautiful human being (along with being a great drummer/teacher/writer). I regret that I never got to meet him in person. We missed each other a couple years ago when I was in Chicago for a concert with Jed's a Millionaire, and recently, Dave was in Phoenix for a business meeting and we weren't able to make plans.

Dave Heim was an important figure in the drumming community and will be sorely missed.

Chris Whitten

Just stopped by to express my shock and sadness at this news, which I only heard about thanks to a Drummercafe newsletter received at my email address.
I didn't know Dave, and only remember having few interactions online with him. However, in the realm of online communities, Dave was one of the good guys. Always contributing insightful and educated responses to any discussion, and treating everyone else in the community with utmost respect.
Dave didn't seem to post for the sake of it, but often had valuable input through his experiences as a prominent local player, and his fascinating history working inside the Ludwig Drum Company.
So, it's hard for me to put in to words, but another good person departs our world way too soon.

David Stanoch

I certainly cannot add anything more eloquent or true than what Bart, Keith, Chris and everyone else have stated here already. I just wanted to formally express my condolences to Dave's family and friends here at the Drummer Café, where I first became familiar with Dave, enjoyed corresponding with him and learned from his knowledge and experience.

We are a community, forever diminished by his passing and our loss. I hope he's in a better place, I'm just sorry he left so soon. Godspeed, Dave Heim and thank you for setting such a fine example of humanity.

Bart Elliott

I'm traveling to Chicago today for Dave's wake. I'll express our community's thoughts and feelings about Dave to his wife, son, and extended family.

I was going to send flowers on behalf of all of us at the Drummer Cafe, but Dave's family has requested that contributions be made to "Bright Start College Savings Program" for the benefit of Dave's son, Benjamin Heim, in lieu of flowers.

If you would like to personally contribute to this savings program, which is tax deductible (not that it really matters), you would make the checks out to Bright Start College Savings Program; indicate Benjamin Heim's name in reference area of check.

Check's should be mailed directly to the Heim's residence. You can contact me directly for their mailing address or send the check to me (see Drummer Cafe contact page) and I'll forward it on along with my check.

Gaetano Nicolosi

I am so sorry to hear the bad news like everyone here at the Drummer Cafe! I don't think I ever met Dave in person, there was never the occasion for it.
However, I strongly recognize him as a very good player and a very nice person for what I know by communicating  here, and via email. I remember a few years ago when I had a clinic in Chicago area he contact me to come at my clinic, but then he had a gig scheduled and he couldn't make it.
We'll always remember you as Dave from Chicago!
R.I.P. dear Dave, and God bless your family.

Gaetano

Bart Elliott

I attended Dave's wake in Chicago last night.

It was a beautiful presentation of Dave's life. His coffin had his drumsticks laid on top, surrounded by some of his favorite drums including several Ludwig Vistalite tom-toms (a blue and a yellow), as well as his Tempus snare drum.

To the left was a table with all of Dave's model rockets.

A zoo docent for some 20 years, Dave was wearing a tie with a giraffe print which his 13-year-old son, Ben, had picked out for him.

Lots of pictures around the room including many photos that typically resided in Dave's practice area. Photos of Dave with Danny Seraphine, Steve Gadd, Bermuda Schwartz and others.

Although I was only able to stay for a short time, there was a sizable number of people coming to pay their respects to our friend.

The funeral ceremony which takes place today is coming to be a huge celebration of Dave's life. Lisa (Dave's wife) said that many of the bands that Dave worked with, including The Bottle Band, are planning to play during the ceremony.

I was able to speak with Lisa and Ben, as well as two of Dave's brothers.

It's tough to lose a friend, especially when they depart us way too soon.

Rest in Peace, Dave.

Hannah Ford

:'(  Many prayers extended for Dave and his family during this time.  Somehow when we loose a member of the drum community it touches us all.

God Bless..

Hannah

Tim van de Ven

I couldn't have said it better than Keith, Chris, Bart or David....  :'(

He was far too young and will most definitely be missed. 

JeepnDrummer

I was very sad to hear of Dave's passing.  Though I never had the opportunity to meet him in person, he's easily recognized as one of the good guys.  May his family find peace and comfort during this difficult time.

Paul DAngelo

Wow, I had no idea.  He was such an asset to the community, being extremely knowledgeable and also a very warm person.  I've posted in the same threads and we had exchanged several IMs over the years.  He was always very gracious.  I will miss him.

Bart Elliott

Big "thank you" to Andy Ziker from the Heim family for contributing to the Bright Start College Savings Program for Dave's son, Benjamin.

I'm sending my check along with Andy's today. If anyone should want to contribute in the future, please direct your correspondence directly to Dave's widow, Lisa.

Since I wasn't able to attend Dave's funeral, I've asked Lisa to send me a "order of service" which I'll include on Dave's tribute/memoriam page here at the Drummer Cafe.

smoggrocks

love that pic of dave and ben.

glad you were able to attend, bart. loved hearing about the memorial and the drums
: )

i posted something on facebook the other day--one of my usual silly musings--and fully expected dave to reply. it was so odd when he didn't. i think of him very often.

these things take time to process.

Joe

I just checked an old, spam-besodden email that I once used, and saw only now that this amazing man, whom I only knew from online here and in the chat room years ago, has gone home.

He was really fun to speak with! And very social, and sharing about himself in the course of conversation. Indeed, he was quite educated as to animals, and we discussed that among the various non-drum topics in that room---actually, it was a rare day when we all DID discuss drums in there.... He taught me about the particulars of my favorite drum, an old vintage Supraphonic 400, and the making of brushes, etc. that occurred under his nose in the very storied factory where he did something computer-related, if memory serves. His bottle-band gigs were simply awesome with their understated virtuosity amidst a healthy dose of whimsy, and also a nice outreach of his faith. He was indeed a Godly man.

A couple of months ago, I picked up an old Ludwig alloy marching snare from Guitar Center, and made a mental note to ask him about it whenever I got back here---but I haven't done drum forums for years, really; not heavily anyway. I've simply been at a different angle with my playing. Instead, I'll have to rely on the countless people whom his warm presence has touched.

I'm off now to look at the tribute page. I know that he rests in peace. It was a pleasure to know him, even only online.

Bart Elliott

I received a number of items from Dave's wife, Lisa, to add to his tribute page here at the Drummer Cafe ... which I've finally done today.

http://www.drummercafe.com/featured-musician/drummer-percussionist/dave-heim-1955-2012.html#in-memoriam

Of the items I received, I created a PDF of his memorial service bulletin, as well as a recording of the service which includes a brief sermon from Dave's pastor, comments and reflections from some of Dave's best friends, music from the St. Luke's Bottle Band, and thoughts from Dave's wife, Lisa. The recording is about an hour and fifteen minutes in length; you can listen online or download the MP3 to your computer.

To be completely transparent ... the thought of Dave's passing still pains me. Seeing the picture of Dave with his son, Ben, who is now without his dad, brings tears to my eyes.

Please be kind to one another. Express your love to friends and family, and especially your kids, every single day. The dawning of each new day is a gift from God, not to be taken for granted.