• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

2013 Community Drum Groove/Solo

Started by Bart Elliott, November 08, 2013, 09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

Back by popular demand ...

After a brief hiatus, the Drummer Cafe Community Drum Solo is back — and we need you to participate!

Why have a Community Drum Solo? The purpose behind the event was my way of fostering community among the Drummer Cafe Community Forum members, and to further the art of drumming. Any drummer or percussionist, novice to professional, can participate — and you use the drum or percussion set-up of their choice.

What originally started back 2005 as audio recordings of individual drum/percussion solos spliced together to create a homogeneous community solo, is now a global video extravaganza.

Help us celebrate International Drum Month by visiting Drummer Cafe and learn more about how you can participate in the 2013 Drummer Cafe Community Drum Solo ... it's going to be fun!

Here's a link to all the details:
http://www.drummercafe.com/music-industry/drum-news/2013-drummer-cafe-community-drum-groove-solo.html

Bart Elliott

Anyone planning on participating?  I know Andy Ziker is; he's already sent in his solo.  8)

Jon E

I'm working on a dazzling display of drumnambulation!!  But you'll likely get the same splatting about like every other year!

Nathan Cartier

Oh what a wonderful surprise to come home to after a week in Disney World.  I'm in, as usual!

dizz

I'd like to participate.  I will try to get something in this season.

I'm having a little trouble aligning the track though.  It doesn't appear to want to line up throughout.  Is the loop accurate?  When I increase the resolution and align the middle of the track, the beginning wants to start before the downbeat.  When I align the beginning of the track the middle lags behind.  It's possible something is lost in translation, but it's just doesn't seem to be accurate to the tempo given.  Could be my cubase software but  I don't think so.  Is anyone else having a similar issue?

I think the loop is a VERY cool sounding loop but maybe not the perfect choice for the community solo.  Of course it's just my opinion.  Reasons being - the frequencies are the same frequencies us drummers use.  Low mids.  Makes what I've done thus far just sound a little cluttered and muddy.

I don't mean to come in here sounding like Mr. Scrooge so I apologize if it seems that way - I just want to get you a track that YOU can align back into the final project properly.

Nathan Cartier

I just pulled the file (with click) into an empty Reaper project to double check, and it lines up precisely with a 94.5 bpm grid.  Something must've happened when you imported and it got time stretched.  May try a new project, set the master bpm to 94.5, and THEN import the file and see if it's aligned. 

As far as the track, it sounds like you need to take another swing at it and try some different ideas until you find the performance that makes you happy. 

Bart Elliott

If you read the instructions for the drum solo, you'll see that the tempo is 94.5 bpm.

There's no need to cut anything to a grid, so I don't know what the problem is. Just play along to the loop, record only yourself with a video camera, and send it to me; let me worry about the rest.

Don't worry about the "sound" of the loop and what the end product is going to sound like, I have everything under control.  ;D  There's actually many variations of the loop that I will use ... often times more sparse. Some of our less experienced players need the bigger sounding loop to feel confident and have a strong performance, hence the reason I've done what I've done.

Keep in mind, this isn't my first pool party community solo.  8)

Bart Elliott

Don't forget ... we are only doing video this year! In years past we've had video as well as audio only entries, but this year it needs to be all video (with audio obviously).

You don't need to do any editing of any sort. Just send me the raw video file (highest resolution possible) and I'll do the rest.  8)

DrumnDad

I have some spare time this weekend, so I'm going to try to get it together.  The loop is groovy, yet strangely spooky...I like it!

Bill Bachman

Mine is in your mailbox Bart! I didn't mean to wait until the last second, it just worked out that way.  :)

Mark Counts

Wow, just stopped into visit. Guess I missed it. Looking forward to checking it out.

Bart Elliott

JeepnDrummer

Bill Bachman

I dig hearing all of the radically different interpretations. Fun y`all!