• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Acousticon Shells

Started by groovsmyth, March 08, 2002, 05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groovsmyth

Does anyone know anything about Remo's new shell material that they rolled out at the recent NAMM?

I've been toying with the idea of building my own 18x20 kick and was wondering if this might be the way to go for shell composition. Supposedly mahogany and the less expensive basswood enhance lower frequency resonance. I read that since each type of wood is a different density and vibrates accordingly, that laminates composed of various woods offer a complex mix. The Acousticon is described as a wood composite that maximizes resonance. This sounds intriguing, but I can't get the "particle board" image out of my mind. ;D

Bart Elliott

Whatever REMO is doing new is news to me. The Acousticon shells is what they've always used ... so I thought. Last time I played a set of Remo drums was back in 1988 while I was working at Sea World of Texas.

Ernie (aka Vatoman) uses some Remo drums in his set-up. Perhaps he can shed some light on this, or at least clear up my question on whether they've always used Acousticon material with their drums.

Anyone? Bueller?

Ernie Durawa

As far as I know it's always been Acousticon Shells..I have used both 18 and 20 " Kick drums and have always been happy with the results in recordings...but as you well know that every studio makes the same drums sound just a little bit different,
The best two studios for me in this part of Texas are Firestation in San Marcos and Willie's studio in Spicewood.Also the last CD I recorded was live at Antones with the Tornados and that was a mobile studio.On that recording I used a 20" Remo Kick, 12 & 13 "Fibes mounted toms with Rims a 14"Remo floor and a 14 X 5 1/2 Pearl Pawn Shop special snare...and of course all Paiste cymbals.
I was very happy with my overall sound.CD is close to Gold. ;D

clearseawater

I also thought that was the name of the composite used for the shells.  I used a gold set for a while(theatre work) about 12yrs ago..it consists I think (could be wrong ) of a material like MDF or hi-density chip board. I used to joke about them until I played them in anger, boy was I wrong.

They sounded better than my Sonor.....I loved the gold finish too....is it my imagination that you dont hear of Remo kits much now ?

Bart Elliott

QuoteI also thought that was the name of the composite used for the shells.
You are exactly right; that's what we are referring to.