• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Injures while playing?

Started by slurch, March 08, 2002, 04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slurch

Hi!

Do you know this? It happened to me several times. Nothing bad, I just hit myself (knees, head, fingers).

But, did somebody really hurt himself? Like broken fingers?
I heard from a guy once, which broke his arm while playing, but can't believe it.

slurch

Misenko

Broke his arm?!?!?!?!?!?!

What did he do? Forget his sticks and use his arm instead? Sounds a bit strange to me...but I guess life is full of strange things, so it could be true I guess!

Misenko.

Ernie Durawa

There is a thing called Trigger Finger which is a common musician injury caused by repetitive motion.I have suffered a little with it because of 47 years of playing.Surgery is one way out or  shots.I chose the shots...it helped for about 3 months and now it's back.

clearseawater

Hi Vatoman....I think that's a form of "Tendonitis" and I suffer from that also. Also true, steroid jabs only work so far and the powers that be do tend to advice not to open the hand up(surgery)if it can be avoided due to scar tissue restricting the tendons.

Back injury's are common as well as getting sliced knuckles from the cymbals. I fell into my kit once and I was the only one on stage at the time(and I was'nt drunk).

It quite a physical thing so I suppose if you can imagine it (within the realms of the equipment surrounding your person......lets not go down the",and then the elephant trampled me after that" route:)) it can happen.

Ernie Durawa

Hey Clearseawater,
I believe you're right about tendinitis...surgery scared me because if they accidently clip a nerve...you could lose all feeling in your hand and to me that would be worse.I would rather live with a little pain,but still be able to feel.Usually it goes away once the blood starts to flow.Thanks for your response.

Commander

At various points I have suffered from the following.

1). Tendonitis.
2). Sliced / bleeding knuckles on cymbals.
3). Hit myself in the nuts with the end of both sticks.
4). Burst / bleeding blisters.
5). Tinitus (ringing in the ears) that is now permanent.
6). Wayward sticks falling on head from great height.
7). Fallen whilst standing on kit at end of show.

It's a war zone out there guys!

slurch

QuoteAt various points I have suffered from the following.

3). Hit myself in the nuts with the end of both sticks.

It's a war zone out there guys!

:o
*uhh*

Peter Jeffery

I seriously had my ego bruised a few months back when my drum stool slipped off the back of a club stage and sent me shoulder-bowling into a window behind me...... mid-song!!   yeah....NICE!!

While attempting to regain my composure on the patio between sets.....and also while making futile attempts at discouraging all my bandmates in their celebration and obvious delight in seeing me experience this in front of a packed house(!)......a guy (a rubby on a bike) walks up and PULLS A @$%# GUN on me.  Two minutes later the cops showed up and wrestled him to the ground and dragged his ass off to the slammer.    

But back on the real topic.....and this following story has pretty much scarred me for life!   ---I heard of a drummer who somehow managed to embed a broken drumstick IN his eye.   Sorry for sharing that...but I couldn't resist adding this morbid little detail.   I don't wear glasses but that story has me considering it!

slurch

QuoteI heard of a drummer who somehow managed to embed a broken drumstick IN his eye.   Sorry for sharing that...but I couldn't resist adding this morbid little detail.   I don't wear glasses but that story has me considering it!

Mhm. I wear glasses, but getting contacts today. Maybe I should think 'bout it again...  ???  ;D

Bart Elliott

QuoteI heard of a drummer who somehow managed to embed a broken drumstick IN his eye.   Sorry for sharing that...but I couldn't resist adding this morbid little detail.   I don't wear glasses but that story has me considering it!

Just look at Kenny Aronoff!  ;)

Dwarf

Thus spake Bartman:
QuoteJust look at Kenny Aronoff!

Is that why he wears those swimming goggles?  I thought he was trying to tell us that he was an alien or something.

Peter:  I dunno, I might pull a gun on someone that just fell through a bar window at me, you never know what prompted the fall :)

--
Rob

Peter Jeffery

Another addition to my recent resume of mishaps....played a place tonite called the LIQUORDOME.  Yup, basically like a mighty multiplex 'Thunderdome of Beer' type of place.   Some a$$hole pepper sprayed the crowd....2000 people hacking and wheezing...  ambulances;  poison control; cops everywhere; evacuations.   Pretty nasty and people panicking at first not knowing what the substance was.   Other than that it was a great gig!! ;D ;D ;D  

felix

Quote). Fallen whilst standing on kit at end of show.

Hollywood!

QuoteAnother addition to my recent resume of mishaps....played a place tonite called the LIQUORDOME.  Yup, basically like a mighty multiplex 'Thunderdome of Beer' type of place.  

I bet they were really digging your "Future Sound" licks there.  

It's funny, but here in the midwest US everything is so conservative compared to England and Europe it seems.  Or maybe that is how our media portrays you folks.  Seems like I would have more fun out there.

Commander

Felix - it was in the Midwest US that I fell off the kit!

Peter Jeffery

Felix Wrote:  "I bet they were really digging your "Future Sound" licks there."  

Yeah, ya know  -something about Celtic Rock ala Pogues/Mahones/Spirit Of The West.....just doesn't lend well to unnecessary metric modulation and permutation exercises, Felix.   Should I ever start doing displacement exercises etc from Future Sounds or any other source during a gig of ANY type  -remind me to sell my gear.

felix

Really?  Can't you even slip in some linear funk with an over the bar fill now and then?   I think I would sell my equipment if I couldn't play a few permutations, modulations and the like.  Whatta drag.  Playing groove is great I guess, but I wouldn't want a steady diet of it.  

I look at my drumset more like a skateboard than a tool to make money with....don't hate me.

Peter Jeffery

QuoteReally?   I think I would sell my equipment if I couldn't play a few permutations, modulations and the like.  Whatta drag.  
I look at my drumset more like a skateboard than a tool to make money with....don't hate me.

...don't look now, but the key word I used was 'exercise'
i.e. applying exercise 12, page 114 to a song/groove.   Again 'exercises' not applied purposely to music was my point.   Not to say you 'can't'...just that I try to leave learning from books and making music as seperate conscience activities.    To clarify in advance...it's great when your learning material and your natural playing on the kit merge to some degree ---'naturally.'   However, applying a four bar modulation exercise from Future Sounds (or whatever)  to a song is a completely different (and unfortunate) circumstance.    I thought it was clear the first time....thanks for setting me straight on my need to reiterate.

As for the skateboard...hmmm...yeah, you'll have to explain that analogy.   I can conceive that you might be referring  to having fun with your drums as opposed to making a living.  Cool.  That's great for you, man.    What I've found is that making a living playing drums and having a blast doing it aren't even close to being mutually exclusive events.  

Remind me -where does 'injuries while playing' come into context?  Did you fall off your skateboard recently?  Off your drums?

felix

Naw, I was cross sticking and popped out my eyeball.
Skateboard/drumset thing is I like to do tricks and have fun on it/them, but yeah- I get lots of bruises on the ego.

Glad to hear that your having fun and making real dough.

nullify_drummer

i've heard of breakin a finger on a floor tom rim, cause i've did it and i always hit my self in the back of the head, and i can say i've slipped off my old stool before i got the "imortal steel chair" its imortal cause its been in 12 bar fights and never got bent.

felix

Sounds like a wild band you are in.

I was in a wild band once...man, that was fun.