• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

What do you tell your wife/husband when you come home with that new cymbal?

Started by Atomic, April 02, 2003, 03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis Russell

Quote from: agsa6079(Tony) on April 03, 2003, 08:42 AM"No, but I'll buy it for you if the price is right."  

I keep telling you guys that sucking up pays off big time... ;D

Tony

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on April 03, 2003, 08:47 AM
Quote from: agsa6079(Tony) on April 03, 2003, 08:42 AM
She replied, "No, but I'll buy it for you if the price is right."  Well, I went home that day with a new DW kit with cases!!!

Tony, THAT is what we call a "keeper."

Wow.

Does she have a sister?   ;)

(Kidding - I'm very happily engaged to another musician/computer geek whose own eBay addiction keeps her from complaining about my purchases. )  ;D

Well, I've been with her for 16 years, so I'm pretty sure I'll keep her.  The question is, will she keep me? ;D  

dwcampbell1

Actually, I have more of a problem with bringing home new snares.  It's getting progressively more difficult to justify.  I explain that certain snares sound better in certain environments so I need a particular snare that sounds good live, one that sounds good in the studio, one that sounds good in the drum room at church, etc.  Now, realize that the snares I've bought are top quality and and really will work anywhere. ....It's just that most just kind've shine in different places.  

Unfortunately, her most recent reply was, "Then why do you keep buying crappy snares that don't sound good everywhere"?

..."Ummmmm"..... ::)

random

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on April 03, 2003, 08:47 AM
Quote from: agsa6079(Tony)

Does she have a sister?   ;)

/quote]
WELL?!?! does she!?!?!?! hook a brotha up!!! lol

DrumGun

I too am addicted to snares, and you guys are reall screwed when your lady gets REALLY hip to it and starts breaking stuff like this out...(last month when I ordered the new bronze snare from my guy at Paiste)

"what the hell are you getting that for, Kevin, you know after you tune it up it's gonna sound just like the bell brass downstairs..."

-screwed.

nudrum

Quote"what the hell are you getting that for, Kevin, you know after you tune it up it's gonna sound just like the bell brass downstairs..."

Just don't let her make you do a blind test to prove you can hear the difference!!

Louis Russell

Remember guys and gals, its always easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission!    8)

Bookbabe76

I have trouble spending the money- Times are rough financially at the moment. I don't have to share the info yet, since we are not married yet, but I'm usually so excited about new gear that I tell him right away.
I'm soo looking forward to buying a new ride cymbal and a headset mic that he'll know the second I do. Most likely he'll be with me when I finially relent and spend the cash.

drumz1

Quote from: dwcampbell1 on April 03, 2003, 10:55 AM
Actually, I have more of a problem with bringing home new snares.  It's getting progressively more difficult to justify.  I explain that certain snares sound better in certain environments so I need a particular snare that sounds good live, one that sounds good in the studio, one that sounds good in the drum room at church, etc.  Now, realize that the snares I've bought are top quality and and really will work anywhere. ....It's just that most just kind've shine in different places.  

Unfortunately, her most recent reply was, "Then why do you keep buying crappy snares that don't sound good everywhere"?

..."Ummmmm"..... ::)

.....My wife knows that the bill-paying money comes from my gig, and we seldom, if ever, have had a problem with buying new drum gear.  But one time, I wanted to buy a Pearl Dennis Chambers 6.5"x14", and she looked at me and said "You already own 8 other snare drums, why do you need this one?" (At that time, she was right, I actually did have that many.)   I smiled back at her and replied "How many pairs of shoes do you have in the closet?"

The Chambers snare now sits in a case in my drum room and is used on many recordings.  :-)

Regards,
drumz1

HDT

My problem is that my wife is very frugal... she rarely buys stuff for herself, so I can't exactly use the old "too many shoes in the closet" thing.  Bummer.
Del

AndyDierker

"spauns of Satan"

I just wanted to point out that only a drummer would make that spelling error.

Just teasing, MVanDoren!  ;)

Redcamaro

Drumgun, I had to laugh when you said your drums bought your house.   It reminded my that I had to sell my '82 Mustang GT to get the down payment on my first house.  In that case my first sports car bought my house  ;D

My wife is always encouraging me to buy stuff.  My birthday is coming so I smell a new 16 inch AAX crash and maybe an 8 inch splash too!  Woo hoo!

My secret is that I spend a bunch on her first and then she feels like she needs to return the favor.

DrummerMom

Normally I tell him before I buy drum realted stuff. This time I bought a new B8 Pro ride cymbal got 2 weeks ago and still haven't told him.

I haven't used it yet either.

TAYEPLAYER

::)I lie my ass off of course.  I either tell her that they were much cheaper than they actually were,  or I just tell her that these new ones are supposed to be quieter, and less disruptive to her Home and Garden Television. ;)

drumwild

My wife told me that I had to quit playing drums, go back to college and get TWO jobs so she could stay at home.

So now I'm divorced AND have a great drum kit!

Also, I have a girlfriend who shops gear FOR me AND takes care of my kit whenever I have a gig.

Our philosophy is this: So long as we're not spending the grocery money, all is fair!

Based on this life experience, I would say that you're with the wrong person if you have to hide your passions instead of share them.

Kelly Minnis

Luckily for me Ebay has saved this from being a problem.  I buy and sell lots of different things and use that money to buy new drum things.  Or sometimes I pull back some of my quarterly bonus, overtime or tax money.  But I rarely spend a lot at once.  The missus knows I'd never put us in financial danger for drums so she lets me spend my own money how I want.  

thomasarey

There's a great bumpersticker I saw at a drum shop I was passing through in Buffalo, NY....
"I got an incredible drumset for my girlfriend.....I'm gonna miss her".

Yeah, bringing home new gear is tough....when I randomly brought home my 60's roundbage kit.....didn't go over so well....She knows that it's EXACTLY what I've always been looking for (but is sick of the sets stacked in our apt....most acting as furniture...)....but I bought it in a tough financial time.....(gotta buy em' when they're there though!!...I've learned that lesson before)....

I'd say it's best to tell em'....chat, explain the situation and make it happen....but when all's said and done......YOU GET THAT GEAR!!!....jk......kind of..
T

Louis Russell

In 1966 I had been married for about 3 months and I was jamming on the kit for a couple of hours.  My new wife finally said, "Its either me or the drums."  After a minute or so of silence she said, "well?"  I thought a minute and said, "I'm thinking, this is a hard decision!"  After 34 years of marriage there was never another comment about the drums.  She loved to go to the gigs with me and was always supportive.  

John_M._Hicks

My wife is the best! She supports my music adventures and purchases. Like 563, I have more trouble convincing myself. I agree that communication is the best thing.
For an example of my wife's  coolness. When I graduated from college she purchased the Roland V-Club for me to practice on while we lived in an apartment. Another cool gift, she went to GC and played all the splashes and chose the 10" HH Duo Splash as a birthday gift, the same splash I would have chosen.