• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Re:Alcohol at gigs or rehearsals

Started by Tony, April 11, 2003, 07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feej

I might have a beer when we have dinner after we've set up at the gig, but thats about it.

Nick

Quote from: agsa6079(Tony) on June 07, 2003, 08:34 AM
This thread must have been affectected by the crash.  I don't recall starting it or posting a poll of any sort.

Yep, it was me that started this thread, and my original post has disappeared…  ???

Must be a crash victim like you say…

N

nudrum

Quote from: agsa6079(Tony) on June 07, 2003, 08:34 AM
This thread must have been affectected by the crash.  I don't recall starting it or posting a poll of any sort.

See what alcohol can do to your internet forum skills?
Just think what it can do to you playing!! ;D

felix

Well, I can play buzzed or straight.

I play much better straight and I'm really trying to cut way back on the alcohol these days.  It just keeps getting in the way of things I'd rather be doing.  I hate being hung over or tired when I'm not at a gig or rehearsal.

I don't think too much when I'm straight like dougstiers...I'm just more aware of what is going on around me.  Sometimes that is good, sometimes it is not.

I couldn't play the tough fusion stuff I play buzzed at all, at least not up to my standards.  There is money music then there is art music.  I can play the 4/4 crap I dole out in bars when I am practically unconscious, but the "real" stuff I play requires a clear head.

Louis Russell

I just found this, it makes a lot of sense.

THE BUFFALO THEORY - One afternoon at Cheers, Cliff Clavin was explaining the Buffalo Theory to his buddy Norm. Here's how it went. "Well, ya see, Norm, it's like this. . . . A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. Naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why . . . you always feel smarter after a few beers.

SteamRhino

Quote from: Louis on August 06, 2003, 01:18 PM

THE BUFFALO THEORY ....

That Cliff Clavin is a GENIOUS. It beats staying at a Holiday Inn Express:D

ritarocks

Quote from: SteamRhino on August 06, 2003, 04:21 PM
That Cliff Clavin is a GENIOUS.
except for that time he bet it all on final Jeopardy and lost. ;D

Winger

I tend to loose my focus, concentration and timing when drinking. And since I usually concetrate quite a bit while playing the two don't mix very well. I can get by with one drink & not be affected much but after that my playing takes a noticable dive. :-\ Funny it doesn't seem that way when I'm on the floor drinking & dancing though! :D At any rate, when I'm playing at the gig I won't drink. And at rehearsal I'm leaning more to not drinking as well, just because it does't hurt to rehearse the refreshment part while playing as well! Those quart sized mugs full of ice water have become quite refreshing when I'm playing.   ;D

Louis Russell

Quote from: ritarocks on August 06, 2003, 10:58 PM
except for that time he bet it all on final Jeopardy and lost. ;D
Cliff doingtThat was dumber than a wet rope.  I could not believe he did that.  

felix

A few weeks ago our band spent the whole 2 hour practice session learning a couple of tunes that I had pretty much bagged.

Needless to say I was "smashed" by the end of the practice.

How do you keep sober practicing "She hates me" for 5-10 times in a row.

It's tough, let me tell ya.  Makes the song challenging to play though  ;D

Winger

Follow it with "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" and life will have new meaning.  ;D