• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

RELAX!

Started by MOUSE, April 27, 2003, 04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOUSE

Good advice from the pros to relax when playing and it is probally the best advice to give a drummer but!
Prior to a gig especially a learner drumer the nerves, the hype, the rush, the panic, the first count off, the adrenalin etc. are starting to invade the body and you need to relax.
Actually for me none of this really bothers me as i just get on the kit and do it. To relax i might just drop my arms down to the side for a while before kick off. I find micro pauses between songs and a bit of stretching between brackets helps. I think my efforts to make each gig a fun gig takes my mind off any worries and reduce any tension. I thought some input from others may help someone else with ways to relax.

Louis Russell

Quote from: mouse on April 27, 2003, 04:53 AM
the nerves, the hype, the rush, the panic, the first count off, the adrenalin etc.

Those are some of the best reasons for playing.  They are only problems when you let them interfere with your playing.  

RelientKngOdrums

I find that being properly warmed up gives me a lot of confidence before I start a gig off. Deep breaths and a quick prayer always helps too!   :D

hippie

I always get this weird feeling when I'm really nervous (not just when I'm about to play). It's almost like I'm too relaxed so when I go to play my limbs feel like noodles. Kinda sucks but it happens even when I do warmup. :-\

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: mouse on April 27, 2003, 04:53 AM
the nerves, the hype, the rush, the panic, the first count off, the adrenalin etc. are starting to invade the body and you need to relax.
Quote from: Louis on April 27, 2003, 07:23 AM
Those are some of the best reasons for playing.  They are only problems when you let them interfere with your playing.  
I totally agree Louis.  My wife used to get really annoyed at me because the 10 minutes before we start playing I would be nervous, hyped and adrenalin rushing, but it was always ok because it just went away right when I hit the stage.  I always feared NOT being nervous, I always felt it's my spirit that's making noise to be able to show itself.

I don't know who agrees, but for me, being on stage and performing qualifies for some of the best times of my life.  

Louis Russell

Playing live music is like flying in combat, if someone is not a little nervous before the gig, something is wrong.

nullify_drummer

Quote from: hippie on April 27, 2003, 11:36 PM
  I always get this weird feeling when I'm really nervous (not just when I'm about to play). It's almost like I'm too relaxed so when I go to play my limbs feel like noodles. Kinda sucks but it happens even when I do warmup. :-\

i got the same thing, and thats usually when i play the best. cuz i'm totaly relaxed and can "float around my kit" with great speed and accuracy.

and i'm with louis, i love to play for the nerves, and the flying in combat, only my world is with 4 wheelers and all, if your not shaking at the end of the rhythem section or the big hill, somethings wrong.

stumpy-p

One time... I got nervous before playing to a crowd of 8 drunks and a bartender.

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: stumpy on June 13, 2003, 03:15 PM
One time... I got nervous before playing to a crowd of 8 drunks and a bartender.
...... and all 8 were screaming for "Free Bird"?!?!!?

Robbie Robertson of The Band had a great story on The Last Waltz.  He said they played a club where there were 2 people in the audience..................  and a fight broke out  ;D

random

i'd suggest getting in a fight pre-show.  or watch someone almost get hurt.  perfect nerve relaxers!

drwalker

Quote from: random on June 19, 2003, 06:19 AM
i'd suggest getting in a fight pre-show.  or watch someone almost get hurt.  perfect nerve relaxers!

::)

Louis Russell

Quote from: random on June 19, 2003, 06:19 AM

I hope you are joking!  A pre-show fight may result in an arrest or being injured at best, not to mention giving the band (and musicians in general) more bad publicity.

Paul DAngelo

I would say that any "bad vibes", arguing, fighting, whatever, is COMPLETELY the opposite of relaxing and getting your head right to play a good gig.  Funny, seeing any type of real fighting going on makes me extremely TENSE, just the opposite of what I'd be looking for.  Apparently YMMV.

Louis Russell

Quote from: PDrums on June 19, 2003, 09:19 AM
Funny, seeing any type of real fighting going on makes me extremely TENSE, just the opposite of what I'd be looking for.  Apparently YMMV.

My feelings too, and I hope it's not just an old man thing.   ;D

Christopher

No, it's not an old man thing.

I would hope that Random wasn't serious because it's pretty ridiculous.

I have always warmed up on a practice pad to relax before playing.

It lets me escape into my own little "world of drumming" no matter what's going on around me.

Louis Russell

Quote from: Christopher on June 19, 2003, 09:47 AMIt lets me escape into my own little "world of drumming" no matter what's going on around me.

That's me. in my own little world, drumming or otherwise.