• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Chewing Gum while playing ?

Started by zrated bill, October 13, 2003, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zrated bill

I have an interesting question that maybe one of you can help me with. I have a back fusion @ L5-S1 from an injury I suffered. A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with a TMJ problem in my jaw(caused by my back injury). Long story short I have been practicing while chewing gum to help me from throwing my jaw forward while I play(I grind my teeth while playing). It seems to me that I play better and keep time much better if I am chewing gum while playing. Is this possible? Does it have something to do with relaxing my jaw and all the muscles that lead to my back injury? I know it sounds weird but I can swear that it helps me play better... What are your thoughts? Any Doctor drummers have a theary on this? Anyone else play better while chewing Gum? Thanks for any imput you have!

Mark Schlipper

Ill back up the "play better when relaxed" theory.  Whatever it takes to get there.  If chewing gum relaxes muscles that otherwise cause you grief, then its great method.  Not only does it relax you and make you play better, but gives you fresh breath for meeting your fans after playing  ;D

MOUSE

No one will know , most drummers mouth as they play, funny to watch so iv'e been told. Certainly a bit more glamorous than a fag hanging out of the gob.
Just don't leave your icky sticky chuddy gum laying around when youv'e finished with it....my pet hate is finding some. Thank You.

ritarocks

Carter is chewing gum and playing at the same time in one of his live concert videos; I've also seen Carlos Santana do it.  :)

BBJones

I chew sometimes when I play.  I do find it helps me focus on playing in some weird way.  Kinda like I'm more relaxed because how can you not be relaxed playing drums if yer able to chew gum at the same time? ;)

Although I have the occasional problem of almost swallowing my gum sometimes which can throw me off :P

jokerjkny

most guys. i see chew gum while performing, just do it to bide their mouths for their next smoke.   :-\

Floyd42

I think chewing gum forces you to BREATHE. And that is the key for relaxation (any yoga fan here ?).

Sportsmen use to chew gum when doing their sport. Just to breathe better.

But be careful: chewing (whatever you chew !) reduce the hearing perception by more than 20% (this is why chewing gum was forbidden at school !).

nudrum

Occupational Therapists sometimes talk about Sensory Integration. This deals with how one's brain handles sensory input, sounds, smells, visual input, and the input you get from the movement of the body (proprioception). We humans often use proprioception to effect our level of alertness. Some people bounce their legs, shift positions, and/or chew gum to keep their brains at the optimal level of alertness. I'm guessing that you need that constant chewing or maybe just the feel of something in your mouth to keep your mind at that optimal state.
Chewing gum distracts me and it does actually decrease my hearing perception. How can I hear over all that chewing?
Eating sunflower seeds while I am driving, throwing a handful in my mouth and cracking them open, getting the kernel and spitting out the shell, can keep me awake while I'm driving for hours!! I wouldn't try it while I was playing though!!!

Nick

It does seem to help me, I think it must be the relaxation and breathing, and I use it to keep the beat, especially if I am playing odd time, I use it as an unaccented click.

I never could chew gum while playing when I had long hair, I used to choke on my hair enough as it was, having bits of gum stuck in it didnt help….

:)

N

nudrum

Quote from: Nick H on October 14, 2003, 05:31 AM
It does seem to help me, I think it must be the relaxation and breathing, and I use it to keep the beat, especially if I am playing odd time, I use it as an unaccented click.

I never could chew gum while playing when I had long hair, I used to choke on my hair enough as it was, having bits of gum stuck in it didn?t help?.

N

You saying it's like a click track reminds me... I have noticed a tendency to make mouth sounds by accident when I am playing. They are usually some kind of sucking sound that is in time with the music. I don't know when I started doing this but I just noticed it in the last few months. Wierd

blue-eyed soul man

that's not wierd.  i've always lightly grinded my teeth
back and forth to keep the rhythm. (and making soft sounds
if i'm REALLY getting into it).

all this talk of "relaxation" is fine, i guess (for some).
and if i was learning to play all over again, i might
think about it.

but i play pretty intense. (and when i see myself on
tape, i look a bit "tight" i guess).  but hey.  it's me.
that's just the way i play. it's part of my playing.

Jon E

I have to chew gum while playing.  Blowing huge bubbles is part of our stage show!!  :P

nudrum

My post wasn't necesarily about relaxing, it is about the optimal level of alertness, or as we OTs like to say arousal. You don't want to be too relaxed or too excited. Chewing gum can relax you but it can help you stay awake in class by having that stimulation to move your jaw.

Nubert Thump

Can anyone recommend a book that will help me learn how to chew gum while playing? It seems everytime I try to do BD triplets I bite my tongue. Are there any independence exercises that will help me over come this? ???

BTW, how does gum chewing affect your ability to spin your sticks while playing?  I for one can't chew, drum and spin my sticks at the same time. I tried and now my BD beater is stuck to my BD head. Drats!!!

nudrum

Quote from: Nubert Thump on October 14, 2003, 06:23 AM
Can anyone recommend a book that will help me learn how to chew gum while playing? It seems everytime I try to do BD triplets I bite my tongue. Are there any independence exercises that will help me over come this? ???

BTW, how does gum chewing affect your ability to spin your sticks while playing?  I for one can't chew, drum and spin my sticks at the same time. I tried and now my BD beater is stuck to my BD head. Drats!!!

The stickiness of the gum has really helped my stick spinning!!
I no longer drop my sticks when the spin doesn't go just right. They just stick to my hands. Check out my  book "Sticky Control" published last year.
When I play bass drum triplets I chew down on the first beat, release the pressure on the second beat and then bite back down on the third. I reverse this it there is a second triplet that follows, this might take some practice.
My book "Advanced Chewing Techiniques for the Modern Drummer" is due out next year.

;D

Dave Lemonds

My Mom came to see me play at one of my first concerts years ago and reprimanded me for chewing gum on stage. Actually I was not chewing gum, and it took a while to convince her of that. I keep time with my mouth unknowingly while I play. I've been teased by my musician friends for years about this habit.
Is this relevent to what you are asking? No, but the subject matter made me smile about my stupid little hang-up!

Nubert Thump

Quote from: nudrum on October 14, 2003, 06:33 AM
The stickiness of the gum has really helped my stick spinning!!
I no longer drop my sticks when the spin doesn't go just right. They just stick to my hands. Check out my  book "Sticky Control" published last year.
When I play bass drum triplets I chew down on the first beat, release the pressure on the second beat and then bite back down on the third. I reverse this it there is a second triplet that follows, this might take some practice.
My book "Advanced Chewing Techiniques for the Modern Drummer" is due out next year.

;D

This is very helpful, but you don't mention which side of your mouth you keep the gum. I find this is crucial. When the gum is on the right side of my mouth I do manage to keep it in synch with my BD, BUT if it shifts over to the left side of my mouth and I try to keep my chewing in synch with my BD that's where I get all messed up. If I shift my chew to be in synch with my HH I'm OK but sometimes I have a problem turning the beat around with my chew everytime the gum shifts side to side. And if it is while I'm spinning--fugedaboudit!  I tried to keep the gum centered in my mouth and chew with my front teeth but the gum keeps shifting. You'd think they would make some kind of device that would keep the gum centered? ? ?  I even tried chewing two pieces of gum--one for each side--but I'm too embarrassed to post what happened when I tried that. Let's just say it was a disaster!!!!

I look forward to getting 'Sticky Control' and 'Advanced Chewing Techniques' when they come out. Maybe Bart will sell them here inj the Cafe Store?

Bart Elliott

If you need to chew gum for health purposes, then I guess it's okay. Other than that, I think it's wrong to chew while you plan. When I say "wrong" ... I mean that I think it's wrong and I don't like seeing it.

In my opinion, you can't be relaxed when you play while chewing gum. You are burning calories needlessly, looks terrible, and seems to just be nervous energy. No one has to agree with me, obviously, but I think it's bad; period.

nudrum

Quote from: Nubert Thump on October 14, 2003, 06:55 AM
This is very helpful, but you don't mention which side of your mouth you keep the gum. I find this is crucial. When the gum is on the right side of my mouth I do manage to keep it in synch with my BD, BUT if it shifts over to the left side of my mouth and I try to keep my chewing in synch with my BD that's where I get all messed up. If I shift my chew to be in synch with my HH I'm OK but sometimes I have a problem turning the beat around with my chew everytime the gum shifts side to side. And if it is while I'm spinning--fugedaboudit!  I tried to keep the gum centered in my mouth and chew with my front teeth but the gum keeps shifting. You'd think they would make some kind of device that would keep the gum centered? ? ?  I even tried chewing two pieces of gum--one for each side--but I'm too embarrassed to post what happened when I tried that. Let's just say it was a disaster!!!!

I look forward to getting 'Sticky Control' and 'Advanced Chewing Techniques' when they come out. Maybe Bart will sell them here inj the Cafe Store?

I am ambidexterous so I chew and speak out of both sides of my mouth.
If I were you I would consider the "randomly turning the beat around based on where your gum is in your mouth" as "your style".

In my book Adv Chwng Techs... I list some products that have been introduced to help develop your skills. One such device is "The Gum Leash" it is a mesh bag that has a string attached to it. You put your favorite gum in the bag, tie the string to your front 2 teeth, then adjust the string so that the bag can't stray too far to the sides of you mouth. This is a great device for beginning chewers. It's made by the makers of Gorilla Snot in collaboration with Wrigley.

chefdoug

Chewing gum while drumming, eh? I hope you brought enough for everybody!!(doing my best Hedley Lamar impression)

felix

yeah, I don't chew gum or smoke when I play.  I have not even been drinking on jobs lately  :o.  Substituting a cold soft drink for alcohol really keeps down the perspiration (I hate sweating when I play).  I'm not a total priss though and still like a cold brewski when I'm tearing down  :)

Nubert Thump

Quote from: nudrum on October 14, 2003, 07:11 AM
I am ambidexterous so I chew and speak out of both sides of my mouth.
If I were you I would consider the "randomly turning the beat around based on where your gum is in your mouth" as "your style".

In my book Adv Chwng Techs... I list some products that have been introduced to help develop your skills. One such device is "The Gum Leash" it is a mesh bag that has a string attached to it. You put your favorite gum in the bag, tie the string to your front 2 teeth, then adjust the string so that the bag can't stray too far to the sides of you mouth. This is a great device for beginning chewers. It's made by the makers of Gorilla Snot in collaboration with Wrigley.

Ah, that is what I needed to know.  I just ordered 'The Gum Leash'  online from the Gum Store.  This should hold me until I get your books.
Thanks ;D

Jon E

QuoteI am ambidexterous so .....

Wow!  I'd give my left arm to be ambidexterous!
;D

Dead Trooper

I don't like gum much. I do eat mints all the time, when playing too... I always swallow them by accident, which kinda throws me off.

I've noticed myself "breathing the tunes" if that makes any sense. I just blow the air out to the melody, like I was a trumpet player or something. That helps my concentration, though it looks dumb as hell.

Floyd42

Quote from: dead_trooper on October 14, 2003, 08:12 AM
I've noticed myself "breathing the tunes" if that makes any sense. I just blow the air out to the melody, like I was a trumpet player or something. That helps my concentration, though it looks dumb as hell.

I also do that, "breathing the tunes". It could be weird, but it helps me get the feeling of a song. It's a kind of unconscious motion.

Tkitna

I've seen a bunch of studio tapes of John lennon (with the beatles and solo) chewing gum even while he's recording a song. I dont think I could sing and chew gum at the same time. I also have a life long habit of chewing on my tongue while i'm concentrating. I've been told that its a pretty ugly sight. It must be a freak gene or something in my families dna because my oldest sister has the same habit.

zrated bill

ROTFL, As expected I received some very FUNNY posts to my question and I did get a good giggle from them Thanks! BUT I also see I'm not alone in this theory. I actually stumbled on this by accident. I sat down to practice and forgot I had gum in my mouth. While playing I noticed that my time was much tighter between my hands and feet and also seemed more relaxed and creative. Also my jaw which is usually exhausted when I'm done with a 2 hour session was relaxed and pain free. I do make mouth movements while playing since I video tape a lot of my practice sessions to pick myself apart and find my short comings. I tend to throw my top jaw forward and pull my lower jaw back causing uncomfortable pain.

I used this technique again yesterday for the 1st hour of practice and had the same results. I took the gum out for the second hour and had problems with throwing the jaw forward again and it distracted me to the point of actually screwing up the tempo in a song I have played hundreds of times.

I'm not actually CHEWING away like a two bit hooker on the corner of Main and Elm St. but every so often take a few chews and let the gum sit between my teeth which keeps my jaw still in an even bite pattern. I'm being TOTALLY serious when I say this folks and I'm sure there is a medical reason behind it. Everything in your body is connected in some way and for whatever reason this has brought me and insite on something that has bothered me for 2 years while playing. Whatever the reason, I WILL continue to chew EVERYTIME I play no matter what it looks like to others. There is one drawback, I have almost swollowed the gum several times during intense breathing but it wouldn't be the 1st time in my 38 years getting a piece of Trident stuck in my tummy LOL !

I am going to continue my research on this by asking some Dr. friends about this and will keep you up to date on my findings. In the mean time all of you who find themselfs with a tired jaw at the end of their set should try it, the worst that can happen is you have fresh breath while talking to your fans at the bar like another member suggested!

Thanks for the imput from all (Serious or otherwise), This board has a wealth of info and since there are so many knowledgeble folks on here I have decided to become a VIP memember and support the continuation of this board.

Drumlooney

I can see how this would work, when I pitched I had to chew gum, it relaxed me and kept me alert, so I can see how it might help you keep relaxed when drumming.

Just my two pennies

M2

I actually got this reccomendation from Bif Naked's drummer to chew gum while you play to keep your mouth moist and the dehydration down, he chews every show and plays his ass off! Helps with the munchies too if you follow...

BringerOfJollity

This is gonna sound odd, but....

When I chew gum while I drum, its for two reasons:
1. Gary Chester (author of the New Breed books) established that to further coordination, the voice should be used as part of a drumming system, such as singing the melody, the backbeat, or down/up beats with the sound "ah."

When I am in an environment in which I need to drum silently while doing New Breed in my head (i.e. school) i chew gum to cover the singing parts

2. I chew gum to establish cool rhythms and polyrhythms in my head while drumming to grasp a better concept.

Hope this helps.

Jetter2

I don't do any of that stuff. Don't chew anything, make any noises with my mouth etc. But I play alot of really fast stuff, alot of Emo, Screamo, and Punk. I do nod my head though.

Jon E

Isn't there an old song.....?

"Doe Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor On The Boom Stand Overnight?"

nudrum

Quote from: BringerOfJollity on October 14, 2003, 08:08 PM
This is gonna sound odd, but....

Hey, who said you could get odd on this thread?
;D

SteamRhino

Quote from: nudrum on October 14, 2003, 06:20 AM
as we OTs like to say arousal.

You said arousal, tee hee  :-*

Plowboy

Good thread! I've been chewing the old Bazooka for years while playing. It hasn't really impacted playing in a positive or negative way. It is just something I enjoy doing. If a pitcher can pitch why chewing gum why can't a drummer drum while chewing gum. Why intellectualize everything. Do it if it works for you.

random

Quote from: Plowboy on October 16, 2003, 09:18 AM
chewing the old Bazooka for years  
joke #1)aren't they made of metal?!?!

joke #2)the same piece!?!?!

Plowboy

yes and yes...it is a challenge, but challenges are welcome...like walking and chewing gum at the same time...I know, not very funny.

nudrum

psycht

Quote from: felix on October 14, 2003, 07:28 AM
yeah, I don't chew gum or smoke when I play.

I don't chew gum and I never looked.  ;)

random

i stare at people when i play.  kind of odd, i don't even realize it.  i rock my head side to side when i'm playing djembe though.

MOUSE

Quote[I do eat mints all the time, when playing too... I always swallow them by accident, which kinda throws me off.
/quote]

Well if you choke and die on one at least you'll be in mint condition. ::)

Mayb'e the gum will hold the drool in and fool the roadies that the stage is level  ::) ::)

random

funny mouse, but looks like a little post-editing is in order.

SteamRhino

Quote from: random on October 16, 2003, 05:49 PM
i stare at people when i play.
I used to do that when I was younger. Get in the zone when really driving a tune and just get this "possessed" look.
We were doing a grand opening for a shopping mall, I'm doing my "coolest" possessed stare. Trouble is, when she spun and buried her face in her mothers legs, I realized I was staring at a little girl who was standing in front of her mother.
So I thought I was being cool, but I was frightening little girls. I decided to concentrate on playing and let the quirks be more mundane. Funny thing is, now people say I look so cool 'cause I don't show a lot. just groove and rock :)

sjm1112

Just to add something different to this very odd post. Did you guys know that chewing gum is illegal in Singapore?  I just flew in there and we had to fill out customs forms that read: Do you possess any illicit drugs, steroids, narcotics or chewing gums? Cracked us all up until we remembered they cane people for stuff there! We dug all of our gum out of our bags and just left it on the airplane. Next day we were like little kids all getting our gum out and chewing it on the ground before we left. Beer was also 10 dollars a piece! :o

Louis Russell

Quote from: sjm1112 on October 19, 2003, 11:48 AM
Did you guys know that chewing gum is illegal in Singapore?
That law was recently changed as part of a trade agreement with the USA.  It is available by prescription only.  You may import it only for personal use.  There is a custom form available for any gum you do bring into the country.  There are many places where you should not chew gum as a personal courtesy to the people there.  

SteamRhino

To this day I do not chew gum out of fear of my Jr. High principal :P
And I'm 56 :o

oixio

just"don't chew your nails or your house will fall down." (Soupy Sales)

Nubert Thump

Quote from: SteamRhino on October 20, 2003, 12:57 PM
To this day I do not chew gum out of fear of my Jr. High principal :P
And I'm 56 :o

LOL--I don't do it out of fear of the gum pulling out dental fillings and having another 'day-to-remember' at the dentist.  ;D

Dinosaur

Quote from: nudrum on October 16, 2003, 03:01 PM
Sticky Control.....get it?

BARF! :o

That one was physically painful.  ;)