• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Chewing Gum while playing ?

Started by zrated bill, October 13, 2003, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

felix

yeah, I don't chew gum or smoke when I play.  I have not even been drinking on jobs lately  :o.  Substituting a cold soft drink for alcohol really keeps down the perspiration (I hate sweating when I play).  I'm not a total priss though and still like a cold brewski when I'm tearing down  :)

Nubert Thump

Quote from: nudrum on October 14, 2003, 07:11 AM
I am ambidexterous so I chew and speak out of both sides of my mouth.
If I were you I would consider the "randomly turning the beat around based on where your gum is in your mouth" as "your style".

In my book Adv Chwng Techs... I list some products that have been introduced to help develop your skills. One such device is "The Gum Leash" it is a mesh bag that has a string attached to it. You put your favorite gum in the bag, tie the string to your front 2 teeth, then adjust the string so that the bag can't stray too far to the sides of you mouth. This is a great device for beginning chewers. It's made by the makers of Gorilla Snot in collaboration with Wrigley.

Ah, that is what I needed to know.  I just ordered 'The Gum Leash'  online from the Gum Store.  This should hold me until I get your books.
Thanks ;D

Jon E

QuoteI am ambidexterous so .....

Wow!  I'd give my left arm to be ambidexterous!
;D

Dead Trooper

I don't like gum much. I do eat mints all the time, when playing too... I always swallow them by accident, which kinda throws me off.

I've noticed myself "breathing the tunes" if that makes any sense. I just blow the air out to the melody, like I was a trumpet player or something. That helps my concentration, though it looks dumb as hell.

Floyd42

Quote from: dead_trooper on October 14, 2003, 08:12 AM
I've noticed myself "breathing the tunes" if that makes any sense. I just blow the air out to the melody, like I was a trumpet player or something. That helps my concentration, though it looks dumb as hell.

I also do that, "breathing the tunes". It could be weird, but it helps me get the feeling of a song. It's a kind of unconscious motion.

Tkitna

I've seen a bunch of studio tapes of John lennon (with the beatles and solo) chewing gum even while he's recording a song. I dont think I could sing and chew gum at the same time. I also have a life long habit of chewing on my tongue while i'm concentrating. I've been told that its a pretty ugly sight. It must be a freak gene or something in my families dna because my oldest sister has the same habit.

zrated bill

ROTFL, As expected I received some very FUNNY posts to my question and I did get a good giggle from them Thanks! BUT I also see I'm not alone in this theory. I actually stumbled on this by accident. I sat down to practice and forgot I had gum in my mouth. While playing I noticed that my time was much tighter between my hands and feet and also seemed more relaxed and creative. Also my jaw which is usually exhausted when I'm done with a 2 hour session was relaxed and pain free. I do make mouth movements while playing since I video tape a lot of my practice sessions to pick myself apart and find my short comings. I tend to throw my top jaw forward and pull my lower jaw back causing uncomfortable pain.

I used this technique again yesterday for the 1st hour of practice and had the same results. I took the gum out for the second hour and had problems with throwing the jaw forward again and it distracted me to the point of actually screwing up the tempo in a song I have played hundreds of times.

I'm not actually CHEWING away like a two bit hooker on the corner of Main and Elm St. but every so often take a few chews and let the gum sit between my teeth which keeps my jaw still in an even bite pattern. I'm being TOTALLY serious when I say this folks and I'm sure there is a medical reason behind it. Everything in your body is connected in some way and for whatever reason this has brought me and insite on something that has bothered me for 2 years while playing. Whatever the reason, I WILL continue to chew EVERYTIME I play no matter what it looks like to others. There is one drawback, I have almost swollowed the gum several times during intense breathing but it wouldn't be the 1st time in my 38 years getting a piece of Trident stuck in my tummy LOL !

I am going to continue my research on this by asking some Dr. friends about this and will keep you up to date on my findings. In the mean time all of you who find themselfs with a tired jaw at the end of their set should try it, the worst that can happen is you have fresh breath while talking to your fans at the bar like another member suggested!

Thanks for the imput from all (Serious or otherwise), This board has a wealth of info and since there are so many knowledgeble folks on here I have decided to become a VIP memember and support the continuation of this board.

Drumlooney

I can see how this would work, when I pitched I had to chew gum, it relaxed me and kept me alert, so I can see how it might help you keep relaxed when drumming.

Just my two pennies

M2

I actually got this reccomendation from Bif Naked's drummer to chew gum while you play to keep your mouth moist and the dehydration down, he chews every show and plays his ass off! Helps with the munchies too if you follow...

BringerOfJollity

This is gonna sound odd, but....

When I chew gum while I drum, its for two reasons:
1. Gary Chester (author of the New Breed books) established that to further coordination, the voice should be used as part of a drumming system, such as singing the melody, the backbeat, or down/up beats with the sound "ah."

When I am in an environment in which I need to drum silently while doing New Breed in my head (i.e. school) i chew gum to cover the singing parts

2. I chew gum to establish cool rhythms and polyrhythms in my head while drumming to grasp a better concept.

Hope this helps.

Jetter2

I don't do any of that stuff. Don't chew anything, make any noises with my mouth etc. But I play alot of really fast stuff, alot of Emo, Screamo, and Punk. I do nod my head though.

Jon E

Isn't there an old song.....?

"Doe Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor On The Boom Stand Overnight?"

nudrum

Quote from: BringerOfJollity on October 14, 2003, 08:08 PM
This is gonna sound odd, but....

Hey, who said you could get odd on this thread?
;D

SteamRhino

Quote from: nudrum on October 14, 2003, 06:20 AM
as we OTs like to say arousal.

You said arousal, tee hee  :-*

Plowboy

Good thread! I've been chewing the old Bazooka for years while playing. It hasn't really impacted playing in a positive or negative way. It is just something I enjoy doing. If a pitcher can pitch why chewing gum why can't a drummer drum while chewing gum. Why intellectualize everything. Do it if it works for you.

random

Quote from: Plowboy on October 16, 2003, 09:18 AM
chewing the old Bazooka for years  
joke #1)aren't they made of metal?!?!

joke #2)the same piece!?!?!

Plowboy

yes and yes...it is a challenge, but challenges are welcome...like walking and chewing gum at the same time...I know, not very funny.

nudrum

psycht

Quote from: felix on October 14, 2003, 07:28 AM
yeah, I don't chew gum or smoke when I play.

I don't chew gum and I never looked.  ;)

random

i stare at people when i play.  kind of odd, i don't even realize it.  i rock my head side to side when i'm playing djembe though.