• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

How long have you been playing the drums ?

Started by Floyd42, December 02, 2003, 07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agogobil

I started with a "real" snare drum when I was 12, and got a kit around 14.  However, I've done more (as far as playing out in bands) in the last seven years than in the previous 28.  

clt2msb

I got my first drumkit at age 3, but had been beating mom's pots, pans, empty coffee cans, etc since 13 months old (have pics to prove  ;D ).  I busted the heads on that first kit on Christmas morning.  My parents went out the next week and got a real drumset (Ludwig blue sparkle).  

All in all, 29 years of playing actual drums, 32 of playing anything that resembles a drum.  And my mother claims that when I was in the womb I would kick when the radio came on!  :o

irishthump

A bit of a late starter me, started playing around 13 on the usual pots, pans, books etc. Got my first kit soon after, and I still have it!!!

funmachine

I didn't start until I was 14 or 15.  I called around and found a teacher on my own without my mother knowing.   Most existential thing I ever did!  Anyway I'm X + Y - 10 now so you do the math.   ;)

Paul L

Got my first drumset for Chrismas around 1966.  It was a used Ludwig (probably from the 40s or 50s era)... I recall it had a cymbol mount in the middle of base drum (no rack toms) to hold the huge/heavy dark Zildgian ride.  Boy, I wish I had that set now.

Drumlooney

It's around 17 years for me, funny when I first started I taught I knew it all, now I know that I don't know anything.  lol

BBJones

Started when I was about 12 I think.  My dad's band practiced in the basement so there was a drumkit there.

It's be very off and on over the last 20 years.  Apart from the first few years, I rarely put any practice time in by myself.  It's been mostly playing with bands.  Longest break I took was a full 3 years of NO playing at all.  That was recently.   Couldn't stand it so I got back into.

Was never overly happy with my abilities but I got the job done for the local bands I was in and had a lot of fun.  Since I started playing again (about a year ago) I finally decided to get back into lessons and practice on my own.  Funny how hard work pays off :P

If I could combine all my playing over the last 20 years into equivalent full-time playing, it would be more like 10 or less. :(  I hate saying "I've been playing for 20 years..." becuase it sure doesn't sound like it ;)

felix

Yeah, right BB.  I think more of us are in that boat than would care to admit.

I never took any real time off.  I think the longest I ever didn't play was 2 weeks  8) and that was murder.

cavalier302

I started in doing percussion in middle school in 1998 and started playing drumset in 2001.

Sean Welch

A little over a year.  And let me tell you - if you heard some of my stuff you'd probably not believe it!

(because you'd swear it hasn't been over a month  :o )

ChinaCymbol

I was 12 when i started playing kit in school band.  14 when i got my first kit, sold it soon after.  at 15 i bought a second kit and also sold it soon after.  At 16 on x-mas i got a kit i still have today and at 18 i bought another kit i still have also.  i'm 19 now so i guess i've been playing for about 7 years with really no breaks longer than half a month or so.

windhorse

As Mr. A says, "Happy Drummiversery!"
;D

I'll never know mine since it flowed into my life unnoticed.
:-[

Winger

Geez, this question always makes me do some math to figure it out. Lets see: I graduated in 1975 after having played drums in band through 7th, 8th, 9th, 10, 11th & 12th grades. Thats 6 years worth. So 1975-6=1969. And 2003-1969=(@$%#, I need a calculator since I'm so old) 34 years. Now if you take out the 15 years I didn't play beween 1981 and 1996, then that leaves me with 34-15=19 years of Active drumming. Whew, I need a nap now!

Floyd42

Thanks for all the "Happy Drummiversary!".

Now I know the word (and I even know how to make a "something-versary"). The Drummer Cafe is a great place. I learn stuffs about drumming and I improve my english.  ;D

Thanks again !

LT500man

It is very Interesting to see how Young all  you Drummers are.... ::)  I fit right in with you youngsters. I started in 6th grade.......Lets see hmmm that was about 1968. I got my first Star Kit that year for Christmas. . Been Playing  off and on ever since. I'm on my 5th kit right now.  I took lessons for two or three years and played in the school band. I have been in a couple of Rock bands back in the Eighties and taught lessons in the nineties. But just been jam'n by my lonesome ever since. I am trying to get a band together right now to play for fun. So if I got my calculations right its been 35 Years this christmas for me............ And still live for the time I get to play my drums.  ;D

Jetter2

I have been playing drums sense I was about 3. I would get out moms nice pans(of course not the bad ones, they didn't resonate as well) and a wooden spoon and go to town. I didn't start playig the drums again untill like...8th grade. I didn't even have a set, but alot of my friends did so I learned some basic beats and worked on some other things. Needless to say I wasn't very good not being able to practice very much. I got a nice Candy Blue Rogers set this year and my skills just skyrocketed ever sense. The basist in my band has had a kit for 6 years and I watch that guy in awe..he has tought me so much, and I still have alot to learn.

Brandon ofNewBreed

I started playing when I was nine through some various local music shop teachers, and then when I was 12, I started working with Joe Commisso. So I've been playing for 8 years.

lewlaw1

Been playing for 26 of my 44 years. There were certain interruptions, but now I'm playing more and better than ever.  Lessons are a really great idea if you want to at least make a credible attempt at reaching full potential.  As they say, better late than never.

ModernDrummer

My very first kit, a Ludwig, my parents bought for me back in 1961.

My first "working" kit, a silver sparkle Slingerland, was again bought for me by my folks in 1962. I still have this kit.

I've been a drummer 43 years, and having taken a hiatus for some 16 years, I've been on stage for 27 of those years.

TroyV

It will be 30 years in about six months for me...