• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Snare Arsenal

Started by Bart Elliott, January 29, 2004, 06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on January 29, 2004, 12:11 PM
that Gadd drum looks SWEEEET! How does it sound?

Here's the Gadd drum on a recording test that I did last fall. I was trying different mics out.

I think this was recorded pre new head and snares. It sounds way better now. I have files at home. I'll post them later on tonight if I can.

Name that tune...  ;)

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/chrisodonnell/crunge.mp3]Click here for mp3

jokerjkny

Quote from: Christopher on January 29, 2004, 12:02 PM(...)

• 2001 Yamaha "Steve Gadd"  5" X 13" 6-ply birch

(...)

OOooo,

tell me more bout this one!  how's it different from a maple shell of similar dimensions?  have you tried it with a regular thinner coated head rather than the rocker Aquarian on there?  and, tho the clip sounds great, and is making me all the more jealous, they only tell you so much.   :P

i had a chance to try out a similar birch Gadd, when Chuck Levins Music in maryland had it in stock.  but the moment i came back from demo'ing some basses, it was gone!  :(

James Walker

Quote from: Joe K on January 29, 2004, 12:25 PM--- 5.5 x 14 Premier XPK (cherrywood): Ahhhh...this drum was the product of a failed shopping trip for a cymbal bag at a local music shop.  When I found that the cymbal bags on sale had no indivudual pockets, I went around the shop, looking at things I might need.   It so happened that this snare (and its series) was recently discontinued, and was marked down to $99 from $150---from $199!  Since I was using the snare I mention next exclusively, I jumped at the offer.  It has a nice, dry sound that is further brought to fusion with a zero ringâ€"great for brush trainbeats a la 1980s country.

Those are great snare drums - even more when you factor the price into the equation.  (I like the XPK sets, too - boomin' bass drums!)

"Dry" is a good description of its sound - it puts me in mind of some 1960s Slingerland snares I've played.  There is an XPK snare sitting on the shelf at the drum store where I teach, and one of these days...

Oh, heck - since I'm posting to the thread again, I might as well share a pic' of the DynaMutt - an old COB script badge Dynasonic shell with a pile of aftermarket parts (since the original parts are just too @$%# expensive on eBay), including Pacific wood hoops, Tama lugs, a Taye-style snare throw picked up from Drum Supply House, and the Rhythm Tech "Active Snare System."  When I posted this morning, I was convinced that I was going to pirate the parts for a new Tempus shell I've ordered - but since I'm home today with a cold, I took a few minutes to tweak it, and...the sucker is starting to sound good.

(Yeah, the pic' has a "Big R" shell - since replaced with the script-badge shell)

This same thing happened with the Tama/Camco - these drums know when they're on their way to the guillotine; as soon as I decide they're going to get sold or scrapped, they start sounding really good, so I'll keep 'em..."IT'S ALIVE!  IT'S ALIVE!"  LOL

Christopher

Quote from: jokerjkny on January 29, 2004, 12:52 PM
OOooo,

tell me more bout this one!  have you tried it with a regular thinner coated head rather than the rocker Aquarian on there?  how's it different from a maple shell of similar dimensions?  

and thx for the clip!  made me all the more jealous!  

i had a chance to try out a similar birch Gadd, when Chuck Levins Music in maryland had it in stock.  but the moment i came back from demo'ing some basses, it was gone!  :(

This is my main snare drum. My wonderful wife got it for me as a birthday present.

I've had a REMO ambassador on there that sounded good too, all be it a little thinner and higher of a sound. I haven't heard the maple ones so I can't tell you the difference.

It has a surprisingly good cross stick sound for being a 13. It sounds good low mid to high mid range tuning. It's a powerful, versatile drum.

It really rocks one's casabas. (James Walker will know what I mean...)    ;)

paul

5.5x14 Gretsch SSB champagne sparkle rewrap
6.5x14 Legend phosphor bronze
6.5x14 Yamaha Maple Custom Akira Jimbo finish
6x14 90's natural finish Radio King
6x14 natural maple DW Craviotto

All but the RK and the Yamaha have diecast hoops and 42 strand snares.

James Walker

Quote from: Christopher on January 29, 2004, 01:04 PMIt really rocks one's casabas. (James Walker will know what I mean...)  

Yes, 13" snare drums do rock the casabas.  My 6X13 Keller does just that, with gusto.  ;)

FWIW, I'm saving my little black beans to buy a stave shell, and it's going to be a 6X13 shell as well.  It's a great size - (essentially) all the body of a 14" drum due to the depth, with quick response, and you only lose a little bit of the lowest end of the tuning range (in my experience).

Great sounding snare, BTW (the Gadd)!  Oh swell, now I've got SIX drums from this thread on my wish list...  ::)  Ya gotta stop doing this to me, guys - I've got home repairs to do this spring!  LOL

Mark Schlipper

Four fully functional snares (which is my poll count), with two more in progress.

12x8, 13x4, 13x6.5 - Home custom jobs made from toms.  All asian mahog.  All main snares depending on the situation.  

10x4 - Star kids kit snare (modded with good lugs and normal snare mechanism installed)

All with Remo Reneissance resonant heads, and either Suede Emperor or Fiberskyn Ambassador batters.

And Ill back up the 13" snares rock notion

felix

"dynamutt" that kills me

Check out that "sleeper" paul-

I'm a big fan of the 6.5 craviotto's  I bet that bronze beast has a crack as well...  nice bunch of snares.

I guess I'm going to have to try a 13" drum.  If I had to buy one 13 what should it be?  To me they always seem lacking "spread" for some reason, maybe I'm wrong.  Sure would be nice to get one I liked though- give me a little more leg room ;D

Christopher

• 1986 Premier 6" x 14" Maple (Hollow shell)

Here's this drum in action.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/chrisodonnell/hammerhead.mp3]Click here for mp3

This is Felix's favorite.  ;)

chefdoug

BigBillInBoston

Quote from: felix on January 29, 2004, 02:03 PM
I guess I'm going to have to try a 13" drum.  If I had to buy one 13 what should it be?  To me they always seem lacking "spread" for some reason, maybe I'm wrong.  Sure would be nice to get one I liked though- give me a little more leg room ;D

Felix, you're certainly right about the leg room. I "fit around" a 13" snare much more comfortably than a 14". Lot's of good choices in 13's but the DW Edge is nice... (also heavy and NOT cheap (even used from Ebay) ).

BigBill

Christopher

Quote from: chefdoug on January 29, 2004, 02:39 PM
for $500,  What is.... The Crunge

DING DING DING...

We have a winner!

Now for the bonus question. For $1000 (yen)

What time signature is it in?

chefdoug

Quote from: Christopher on January 29, 2004, 02:43 PM
DING DING DING...

We have a winner!

Now for the bonus question. For $1000 (yen)

What time signature is it in?

What is....... 9/8? (he answers nervously)

James Walker

Not to be a buzzkill here, but...could I ask, on behalf of all us dialup users still out there, could the big graphic and audio files be presented here as links, rather than embedded files?

By all means, please keep sharing the pic's and sound files - I'm learning a lot about some snare drums I don't know much about currently - but when a couple of mp3 files start loading automatically, that really gums up the works for my admittedly antiquated gear.

Thanks much-ly!  :)

Christopher

Quote from: chefdoug on January 29, 2004, 02:50 PM
What is....... 9/8? (he answers nervously)

You got it!

Will you take a check?  ;)

James Walker

Quote from: Christopher on January 29, 2004, 02:54 PM
You got it!

Will you take a check?  ;)

Just send him the snare drum.  :D

Christopher

Quote from: James Walker on January 29, 2004, 02:54 PM
Not to be a buzzkill here, but...could I ask, on behalf of all us dialup users still out there, could the big graphic and audio files be presented here as links, rather than imbedded files?

By all means, please keep sharing the pic's and sound files - I'm learning a lot about some snare drums I don't know much about currently - but when a couple of mp3 files start loading automatically, that really gums up the works for my admittedly antiquated gear.

Thanks much-ly!  :)

James, I'll fix the mp3 files so they are links. The pics are pretty small so they shouldn't choke your modem too bad.

Chris

Christopher

Quote from: James Walker on January 29, 2004, 02:56 PM
Just send him the snare drum.  :D

Ahhh......... no.  ;D

Where is that confounded bridge?

Mark Schlipper

QuoteI guess I'm going to have to try a 13" drum.  If I had to buy one 13 what should it be?  

QuoteLot's of good choices in 13's but the DW Edge is nice... (also heavy and NOT cheap (even used from Ebay) ).

On a cheaper, but still very cool note are the Mapex Phosphor Bronzes.  They make a 13x5.5 that is possibly my favorite metal drum.  

SamIam

Quote from: felix on January 29, 2004, 08:14 AM
I'd like to hear that blackrolite, the 10x 14 and the 3x13 black beauty- I bet that blackrolite is a blast to play
me 2