• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

When you quit smoking...

Started by Falcao, April 08, 2004, 05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Falcao

For the ex-smokers:

After you quit did you feel you had a more productive day? Did you feel you had more energy to study? More time without the cigarette breaks?

I'm quitting for the second time and seeking some motivation...

agogobil

I didn't feel any major change as far as drumming ... I felt a lot more confident, if anything.

http://www.nicotine-anonymous.org/publications.asp]Here  are some links to help for stopping smoking.  There is also a link for Portuguese.

Tony

I recently quit, and I would say that the overall healthier feeling I have does impact my drumming.  I also incorporated yoga into my my daily regime.  That, coupled with no smoking makes me feel better about myself and that has a positive influence on my drumming!

Jon E

QuoteMore time without the cigarette breaks?

Oh.  Cigarattes.

Nevermind. ;) ;D 8)

DanBritt

I quit over a year ago, and I am definitely much more productive now.  The cigarettes wont control your life anymore, and you will have a lot more time on your hands!  I felt I had to replace the habit with something, so I practice more on the pad, and I run.

Good luck to you, and feel free to send me an e-mail if you want encouragement on quitting - why should the tobacco companies run our lives?

Paul DAngelo

Well, I actually quit over 13 years ago, BUT, I remember that after a few months, I FELT SO MUCH BETTER physically, there was no comparison.  

Simply put, I could BREATHE better.  A fairly important bodily function that you want working at its best  ;)

I also slept MUCH better.

Now, once you've successfully quit, tell me how to get my wife to quit.  I've been a second-hand smoker for the last 13 years.

psycht

It practice... yes. I felt better.

In a club filled with smoke... you get the cravings. :)   I quit a while ago, but at club gigs I'll still might sneak one in on occasion. For me it is/was more of an mental association than physical craving.

felix

No... I didn't get any better or worse.  I did get fatter after I quit though.  So I started up again, lost a few pounds and now I'm trying to quit again.  It was just too hard for me playing in the clubs last year to stay off of them.  

I did breath much better off of them and I also sing better off of them.  Do I feel better?  Sometimes, but usually I'm always jonesing for a smoke, even after I quit for a  year...  so that was a drag.  It's a  tough habit to quit.  Don't start.

Falcao

Thanks everyone. I'm still on my first weeks without smoking and you know how hard that can be sometimes.

I liked that link you sent me, agogobil, it was very useful.

I've already started running (you gotta put some endorphine in your body) and working out a bit.

As far as practice, I feel a lot more energy.  The downside is that I was so used to reward myself with a smoke after a session.

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: Falcao on April 12, 2004, 01:09 PM
The downside is that I was so used to reward myself with a smoke after a session.
One trick is to try not to concentrate on when you used to enjoy a smoke.  Easier said than done, I know, but true.  

I used to be frustrated because every ex-smoker told me I'd never get over the urge to smoke.  Well, even though I was smoking 2 packs a day, there came a time when I completely lost my desire to smoke and never had one again.

Of course I also know that I'm one cigarette away from starting again.  For me it was always all or nothing at all, so I can't  even touch them!

Mightydog

I quit about 20+ years ago. Sometimes, on cold mornings, when I have a cup of coffee in my hand, I want just one more cig.

I don't know if I felt any better the next day. There probably isn't any immediate gratification. By the same token, when you load equipment into your next gig, you'll probably notice that you don't huff and puff quite as much. Over the long run, you'll notice that you don't get sick as often and don't get as sick when you do. You'll probably start to notice that you don't mind doing things like walking down to the corner for a paper on Sunday morning. Quitting is a long-term investment

agogobil

Here's a tip:  If you don't light that first smoke, there's a real good chance you won't light up the second.  Try it!

:)

ps.  Once I had stopped, and stayed stopped for a few days, I started to realise that I didn't want to go back.  Actions have consequences; any time I thought about lighting up, I remembered what it would bring me back to, and I still don't want that - today.  Makes it pretty simple for me.

Gregg Rivers

I quit, and then 3 years later got throat cancer! I waited too long to quit! If you've quit you're ahead of the game! I felt better just a few days after quitting smoking. No more carbon monoxide to make me feel tired all the time! I loved it! To this day I still say it's the best move I've made health wise in my life! In fact I went for my now semi-annual checkup and my Doctor says "You're not smoking anymore are you?" Heck no! "Good" he says, "Come see me one more time in November just to make sure. That will be 5 years since your cancer. Looks like you've beat it!" ;D Smoking (cigarettes OR pot) will shorten your life kids. You can deny that all you want to, but you're lying to yourself. I'm lucky to be alive. Just don't freak in do it!  ;)

dogxray

I quit many many years ago and it effected my playing. I could not drum and eat a sandwich at the same time. So I stopped drumming. Seriously watch your weight when you quit. The taste of food is like a new discovery once you quit.

Mightydog

Quote from: dogxray on April 13, 2004, 11:20 AM
The taste of food is like a new discovery once you quit.

Norm McDonald talks about that in his stand-up routine about quitting smoking:

"So, what was that zesty-zingy thing you served me? A baked potato you say?"

hippie

If you quit then think about all the money you'll have to buy more drum stuff!! :D

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: agogobil on April 12, 2004, 08:55 PM
Here's a tip:  If you don't light that first smoke, there's a real good chance you won't light up the second.  Try it!
Great advice and very true.  

dannymo

On April 23rd (one week from now) it will be one year since I stopped smoking - after having smoked heavily for over 33 years. Quitting smoking has been the best thing I have ever done for myself, my family and my drumming. The best part of it has been that I regularly use the "money saved" excuse as my rationalization for buying new drum gear and the time I used to spend smoking, I now spend practising. My wife is very happy to let me spend the time and money on drumming rather then on slowly killing myself. While I thought I really liked smoking, it doesn't even come close to the fun I am having playing my drums again.

DanBritt

This is all great encouragement and support - good to see (Arent drummers cool!)

When I quit over a year ago, the way I saw it was:  1 puff means I back to full-fledged smoker, 1 puff easily leads to 1 pack.  For me also, it was all-or-nothing.  For me, it was hard to be just a "social" smoker.  

But, by all means, if you ever do give in to a puff, quit again!...

I have an article on my website (under articles) called "accept the inspiration - take the next step" - it is about a change in my life that actually led to quitting ...

All the best,
Dan

Sean Welch

Quote from: hippie on April 14, 2004, 01:00 AM
  If you quit then think about all the money you'll have to buy more drum stuff!! :D

AND how much longer you'll be around to enjoy that new stuff  ;)

rocksurvivor

loudderdb, well said. i notice pot smokers will say anything to justify  there habit, i even know one that claims it helps her breath, ya, right

agogobil

Quote from: rocksurvivor on April 16, 2004, 07:31 AM
loudderdb, well said. i notice pot smokers will say anything to justify  there habit, i even know one that claims it helps her breath, ya, right

do search on Google for "health risks of marijuana smoking" ... interesting feedback.

pardon the thread hijack.

Aadam

i've been smoking for a while but for some reason i enjoy it, but i never really get hooked...i mean i smoke at parties but smoking is the last thing i think about at home.
well how about chewing? you ever have a spittoon attached off of your hi hat stand like a stick holder? ;)

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: agogobil on April 16, 2004, 03:54 PM
do search on Google for "health risks of marijuana smoking" ... interesting feedback.
pardon the thread hijack.
do search on Google for "health risks of social drinking" ... interesting feedback.

pardon the thread re-hijack.

do search on Google for "health risks of cigarette smoking"  ... interesting feedback

rethreading the thread  8)

Jay Northrop

For me when I quit I felt a little better.I felt that I did have more energy to play longer though.When I was a smoker I would drum for 30 mins here and there throughout the day.But once I quit I was able to sit down for 2-3 hours and play a few times a day.I was able to just devote that smoking time to my drumming time.

MOUSE

I gave up some 15 years ago. I was a heavy smoker and sucked on cigars, loved them but they were hurting my pocket.
As i have played in smokey bars over the years i feel that after about 10 years i had finally kicked the cravings which then turned to repulsion at the secondary smoke. My vocalist has a fan on stage to blow it away from her which i am grateful for.
New laws coming in Dec. this year will ban all smoking from workplaces which includes bars (even garden bars)
Sad thing is it may cause a decline in punters and available gigs.
Most venues are smokefree now and a pleasure to play in. My drums just stink after a pub gig.
Decided to try a cigar at Xmas ( a weak momenty)after abstaining for so long, and it turned me green and made me feel sick after a few puffs.  My body has told me iv'e finally done it and is in rejection mode, and i feel so much better knowing i'll never touch another one again.

Don't start!, If you have Give up NOW!

jesster

I am currently smoking again....but I quit for two years a while back and Nicorette gum did the trick for me. I plan on quitting again soon and I'll definitely use the gum because I know it is the ticket for me. When I quit I wasn't playing...but I actually lost weight, mainly because whenever I ate I wanted a smoke, so I refrained from eating so much :)  Also, I was jogging a lot...if you don't like to exercise or find it tedious try headphones with some good live music and drummers which inspire you....Imagine you are up there on stage playing that at Red Rocks or something and the miles/minutes just fly by and before you know it you've got your workout and a refreshed desire to practice/play...........well, it works for me :)