• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

4th Annual Drummer Cafe Community Drum Solo

Started by Bart Elliott, April 07, 2008, 07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NY Frank

Quote from: Jim R. on June 06, 2008, 12:59 PM
Nothing like a deadline to kick everyone into gear!   :)

Just like school.    :)

Mark Counts

Man, this is great. Hannah is going to make it and Dave is too.  I knew you all wouldn't miss getting in!!!! ;D.  How many do we have this year so far Bart?
Are you going to set a record?
                                Nutty

Paul DAngelo

This is the fourth year?!?!  :o

My my, where has the time gone?

Bart Elliott

Quote from: drumnut1 on June 06, 2008, 04:13 PM
How many do we have this year so far Bart?
Are you going to set a record?

We have about the same number as last year; around 20.
Once I get all of this weekend's solos in ... there may be more than that.

I wanted to mention, as a learning process to everyone, that when you submit a solo like this, don't crop or edit the solo before you send it to me. Many of you cut the release or downbeat of the final note of the solo, which makes the overall mix sound very choppy.

In the future, if you have to play a 12-bar solo/groove ... it's best to NOT play ANY pick-up notes ... because you now are cutting into the solo before you. Yes, I can edit it out. Also, be sure to play a downbeat in the 13th bar/measure to end the solo.

A rule of thumb is to give more, not less. I can cut and reduce, but I can't/won't add ... meaning I can always remove if there's too much, but I can't add to your solo.  ;D

Mark Counts

Sorry about the pick up Bart.  Cutting it will be fine. It was the only place I could think of to stick a cow bell in there. (thinking of Louis) ;D. I am sure what ever you do will be fine.  I can't wait to hear/see everyone this year.  The goove you gave us to work with was really COOL. ;D
                                  Nutty

Bart Elliott

Quote from: drumnut1 on June 07, 2008, 09:48 AM
Sorry about the pick up Bart.  Cutting it will be fine. It was the only place I could think of to stick a cow bell in there. (thinking of Louis) ;D. I am sure what ever you do will be fine.  I can't wait to hear/see everyone this year.  The goove you gave us to work with was really COOL. ;D

FYI ... I wasn't singling you out; no need to apologize. I can always cut that out, but I can't make the solo longer ... and some people did their own editing before sending me their solos. Again, no worries ... just wanted to make this an educational/learning opportunity for everyone.

Todd Norris

HA!  Mine had a pick-up too!  I just couldn't help it!  I'm sure Bart can fix it!

Nick

Quote from: felix on May 28, 2008, 06:03 AM
I bet mine is the simplest entry submitted.
If we could, I would  ;D

Mine is not what you would expect from me at all...

Very restrained...

;)

N

Dave Heim

Finished.  Sending it in as I type here.

Hannah Ford

Well, once again find myself challenged at just trying to produce a simple recording. LOL

Actually Dad and I started the day yesterday with good intentions and we experienced an awful equipment melt down with some brand new gear.  I thought Dad was gonna stroke. I keep telling him he's getting to old to get so worked up. LOLOLOL

Anyway, as a last resort at the deadline we just shot a very low quality video with a digital camera.  Although a bit apprehensive about sending something so crappy I did not want to be left out.  I honestly asked Bart to be totally honest and if he didn't think it was worthy to leave it out and I would understand.

So we'll see what Mr. Elliot thinks and take it from there.

Sure is great to see so many others participating!

Peace Love & Drums...

Hannah

amoacristo

I am really looking forward to seeing this and hearing it. Wish I had gotten involved but it just didn't work out this year. Maybe next year.

felix

I'm going to miss James Walker's solo this year.

That guy was just an amazing person/intellect and very cool player.

Last I heard he was assimilated by the T.B. (of New Jersey) forum.

He's a CN man- that makes sense.

Nick

Quote from: felix on June 09, 2008, 05:14 AM
I'm going to miss James Walker's solo this year.

That guy was just an amazing person/intellect and very cool player.
Yep, quite right he was the man...

Much Missed..

N
P.S. where did 563 go while we are on the subject?

NY Frank

Quote from: Hannah Ford on June 08, 2008, 10:16 PM
Anyway, as a last resort at the deadline we just shot a very low quality video with a digital camera.  Although a bit apprehensive about sending something so crappy I did not want to be left out.  I honestly asked Bart to be totally honest and if he didn't think it was worthy to leave it out and I would understand.

So we'll see what Mr. Elliot thinks and take it from there.

I'm sure what you sent in sounds great.  If he filtered yours out, he'd Have to
filter mine out.  :)   Mine sounds like it was recorded with a Fischer Price
tape recorder.

felix

Quote from: Nick on June 09, 2008, 07:33 AM
Yep, quite right he was the man...

Much Missed..

N
P.S. where did 563 go while we are on the subject?

Mark is pretty much onto other things.  Drums to him were more of a side thing.  Subsequently his penchant for liberal discourse probably probably focused his online time elsewhere.  Last I heard he checks in once in awhile but does not participate with the rest of the peeps.

Bart Elliott

I'm going to release the Community Solo tomorrow, featuring it on DCTV. If you are going to submit a solo I really need you to do so by midnight tonight; June 9th.

Hannah Ford

WOW...under the wire..maybe even about an hour late  :-\ we got an audio done that I think is a little better than the vid I had sent in earlier.

We definitely had to work for it.  My Dad was using a Vegas program that just was NOT cooperating.  He ended up killing Vegas and using Pro tools....

OH well...we got it done.

Hope all is well for everyone...

Hannah

Nathan Cartier

Quote from: Bart Elliott on June 07, 2008, 09:02 AM
We have about the same number as last year; around 20.
Once I get all of this weekend's solos in ... there may be more than that.

I wanted to mention, as a learning process to everyone, that when you submit a solo like this, don't crop or edit the solo before you send it to me. Many of you cut the release or downbeat of the final note of the solo, which makes the overall mix sound very choppy.

In the future, if you have to play a 12-bar solo/groove ... it's best to NOT play ANY pick-up notes ... because you now are cutting into the solo before you. Yes, I can edit it out. Also, be sure to play a downbeat in the 13th bar/measure to end the solo.

A rule of thumb is to give more, not less. I can cut and reduce, but I can't/won't add ... meaning I can always remove if there's too much, but I can't add to your solo.  ;D

Ooh, I think mine is one of those.  I wish I had seen this before I went to Cancun, I could've fixed it.

felix

I didn't put in a pickup fill but I did leave in the cowbell count so bartman could line it up.  Should not be a big deal to do a quick chop.  Awe, my bad!   ;D

Nathan Cartier