• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Can Triplets in 4/4 be Regarded as 12th Notes?

Started by Ryan, February 15, 2006, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett Sheaffer

Quote from: Bart on February 20, 2006, 10:17 AM
Consider this ... what would you say if I told you my Chevy Tahoe, an SUV, was a 4-cylinder? Is it? No. It's an 8-cylinder ... but I call it a 4-cylinder because it has four wheels which are cylinders. Only a vehicle with 6 wheels could be a 6-cylinder ... and so on. What's going to happen when I need my SUV worked on? What's the mechanic going to say when I tell him it's a 4-cylinder SUV when itââ,¬â,,¢s really an 8-cylinder. What's the auto parts store going to say when I give them this information? I could go on and on with this scenario, but you get the point.

Oh, I've ridden in Bart's Tahoe, and trust me, it's an 8-cylinder.  We got turned around in downtown Columbus MUCH faster than if it were a 4-cylinder!  ;)  ;D

On topic, though: What's frustrating about the "auto parts store" scenario is what happens when they are wrong and think they're right:

(Me) "Hi, I need an oil filter for my '79 Mazda Rx-7."

(Auto Parts clerk) "Okay..... That's the four-cylinder, right?"

(Me) "Ummm, no.  That's the rotary engine.  Two rotors; no pistons."

(Auto Parts clerk) "Our computer shows it's a 4-cylinder.  It has four spark plugs..."

(Me) "That's because each rotor uses two spark plugs, and... oh, nevermind; How about that oil filter?"

(How dare they accuse my rotary rocket of having... (gulp) pistons!  <sigh>)

That, I'm certain, will be the same frustrating feeling of many educators if the "musical powers-that-be" ever adopt the 12th note as a new "standard."

Mark Counts

Wow,
What a thread?  I am sorry I didn't read all of this earlier.  Ryan must have left this thread for awhile and come back and found out how beat up he was getting and got defensive.  I am sure he felt like he didn't really know what he was talking about after everyone was trying to help him understand.  Kind of like standing out in a crowd naked.  He was even called Stupid and eventually a fool.  I really think you guys were trying to help him out.  Sometimes it is hard to digest the fact that we are all wrong about something everyonce and awhile.
God Bless you all and have a great day!!
                                        Nutty

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: drumnut1 on February 26, 2006, 12:19 PM
Wow,
What a thread?  I am sorry I didn't read all of this earlier.  Ryan must have left this thread for awhile and come back and found out how beat up he was getting and got defensive.  I am sure he felt like he didn't really know what he was talking about after everyone was trying to help him understand.  Kind of like standing out in a crowd naked.  He was even called Stupid and eventually a fool.  I really think you guys were trying to help him out.  Sometimes it is hard to digest the fact that we are all wrong about something everyonce and awhile.
God Bless you all and have a great day!!
                                        Nutty

Ryan was never called "stupid" in this thread, but thanks for the after-the-fact criticism.  

::)

Roger Beverage

Some of us have dealt with Ryan for years.  Ryan is certainly not stupid, Ryan is just Ryan.

Roger

Mark Counts

On the contrary Mr. A.,
"But I'd just say they were dbl'd sextuplets and not sound well, how can I put this mildly- stoopid?

It did not come from you or Bart but it was said.
I thought you two were being very informative and I didn't really find anything agressive towards him until he became unglued.  I understand now why you guy's do the things you do and I support it.  I am just happy to be here!
                     Nutty